The CDC said the amoeba “is commonly called the ‘brain-eating amoeba’ because it can cause a brain infection when water containing the amoeba goes up the nose.” “Only about three people in the United States get infected each year, but these infections are usually fatal,” the CDC said. The CDC noted that “People become infected when water containing Naegleria fowleri enters the nose, usually while swimming. People do not get infected by drinking contaminated water.” The CDC said that of the 157 infections between 1962 and 2022, only four people survived. Texas and Florida account for almost half of the infections, the CDC wrote, adding that most infections take place in southern states.
I’m deeply saddened to hear about the tragic incident in Arkansas involving the toddler and the rare brain-eating amoeba infection. Such cases are incredibly rare, and our hearts go out to the child’s family during this difficult time. It’s a reminder of the importance of water…— Emily Parker (@1stEmilyParker) September 17, 2023
The CDC said the amoeba “disproportionately affects males and children. The reason for this distribution pattern is unclear but may reflect the types of water activities (such as diving or watersports) that might be more common among young boys.” The amoeba normally lives in warm, freshwater environments, according to the CDC, but can also be found in swimming pools when the water is not sufficiently chlorinated. This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.
Brain-eating amoeba (Naegleria fowleri) is a rare but deadly infection that can occur when contaminated water enters the nose. It causes severe brain inflammation and usually leads to death. Here are some facts and tips to prevent it:• The amoeba lives in warm and shallow… pic.twitter.com/ueOTmHfe80 — Fact File News (@factfilesnews_) September 15, 2023