Luis Villazon of Science Focus offered an explanation in answering a question about whether solar panels work better on hot days. “Surprisingly, they perform worse as the temperature rises!” he wrote. “Solar panels work by using incoming photons to excite electrons in a semiconductor to a higher energy level. But the hotter the panel is, the greater the number of electrons that are already in the excited state. This reduces the voltage that the panel can generate and lowers its efficiency. “Higher temperatures also increase the electrical resistance of the circuits that convert the photovoltaic charge into AC electricity.” Now, it should be noted the past few weeks have been far from a failure on the solar energy front. According to Fortune, Germany hit record levels of solar energy output over the weekend, although “if temperatures remain elevated for long” that output will certainly regress. Despite this, the question remains: If climate change is truly the existential threat leftists claim it to be, won’t “extreme temperatures” be the new normal? At that point, won’t their precious solar energy sources become more and more useless? When it comes to solar panels, wind turbines and other “green” sources of energy, some experts believe there are already many better alternatives we could be using today. Author and journalist Michael Shellenberger used to be a climate change alarmist and green energy enthusiast, but then he looked at the numbers.
Climate change activists tell us that solar will save the planet from overheating…it turns out solar panels are LESS efficient in high temperatures. They are not the solution, they’re inefficient, combust in the heat, slave labour made, need full backup.. https://t.co/H7Wji6gtnE— Lorraine Allanson (@LorraineAllans1) July 14, 2022
“People think solar panels protect the environment but they require 300+ times as much land as conventional energy sources and now the Los Angeles Times has discovered that they could ‘contaminate groundwater with toxic heavy metals such as lead, selenium and cadmium,'” Shellenberger tweeted on Sunday.
“Many are already winding up in landfills, where in some cases, they could potentially contaminate groundwater with toxic heavy metals such as lead, selenium and cadmium.” pic.twitter.com/6w33PtjD9o— Michael Shellenberger (@ShellenbergerMD) July 18, 2022
In the same Twitter thread, he asked, “What, then, are solar panels/renewables/EVs *actually* for?” Shellenberger then offered a long list of negative tradeoffs associated with the development and use of the left’s favorite energy sources:
– Increasing the cost of energy– Providing a mechanism for financing political parties and movements with taxpayer and consumer wealth – Transfer wealth from poorer electricity consumers to wealthier consumers — Michael Shellenberger (@ShellenbergerMD) July 18, 2022
• “Financing the persecution of Muslims in China.”
• “Degrading nature.”
• “Lowering worker wages & widening inequality.”
• “Increasing toxic waste.”
• “Providing educated professionals with the fantasy of saving the world.”
• “Increasing the cost of energy.”
• “Providing a mechanism for financing political parties and movements with taxpayer and consumer wealth.”
• “Transfer wealth from poorer electricity consumers to wealthier consumers.”